Saturday, August 28, 2010

Time to reflect, and time to move on...

I absolutely LOVE running!  I run by myself, with my headphones on, so as not to get out of my "zone" that I enter when I step out of my apartment.  The music selection is anywhere from "I Made It" by Kevin Rudolf, to "Cinderella Man" by Eminem.  Really, anything with an uptempo beat that I can keep pace to I enjoy. 

I get lost in the music, as it slowly moves to background music, and my mind travels to other items in my head.  These include: daily happenings, remembering people I met throughout the past day/week, and most recently grasping the eye opening summer I just completed. 

This summer I had an excellent opportunity to view into my possible future as an Extension Agent by serving as a paid intern in the Rockingham County Extension Office.  Since the actual 4-H agent was out of the office most of the summer I was thrust into his position, luckily with a little bit of help from an AMAZING admin. asst.  Throughout the summer I was immersed into this world of Extension, conducting meetings, planning and running day camps for 4-Her's, and dealing with the many, many hoops that must be jumped through while working for the state.  I also had an excellent experience at Smith Mountain Lake 4-H Camp as an Adult Leader, I had been to camp as a young 4-Her, but had no idea the impact that this camp can have on the kids that attend, or the young adults that help lead the kids throughout the week.

My internship was truely an eye-opening experience, in which I will pull life, and classroom, lesson's from throughout my college career, and beyond.  I have reaffirmed my passion and dedication for working with youth, either in 4-H or FFA programs.  Every evening, when I run, I have slowly been digesting the summer, one week at a time, and have gathered all those fond memories and experiences together to pull from whenever needed in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment